Interested in helping with research for Patten Univ @ SQ students?

Allyson West
Dear PUP Volunteers and Friends,

We hope this message finds you well. We are reaching out to you to draw on the wide range of knowledge and expertise that our volunteers possess.

As some of you know, this semester we are offering the second iteration of a new class, English 204: Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research. This course introduces students to research methods and disciplinary concerns in multiple fields in the humanities and social sciences. In addition, students complete an independent research project, which involves an oral presentation and a research paper.

As research coordinator, I am collecting students' research requests and am looking for volunteers who would be willing to do a little independent research in order to help students who need information that they cannot access without the internet.  If you would like to help, I would add you to an email list that I would periodically send updates to with research requests, so that you can have fun scouring the internet and other sources for relevant information (access to JSTOR or other university databases is a plus)!

Students are currently working on their research proposals.  We are asking them to ask specific questions so that the research is directed for our volunteers and therefore not overly time-consuming.  Sometimes they ask for specific articles that they have seen referenced in other materials, and sometimes it's a bit more broad.  Students do have access to both the PUP book collection and the San Quentin library, but will need help accessing academic materials.

Here's an example from a current student:

I am studying the Air Jordan basketball shoe because I want to know why urban youth were being robbed and killed in the late 80s in order to help my readers understand the deaths behind the sneakers.
Research questions:
1) How many known related killings behind the shoes? (Possible source: Chicago Tribune, 1985-1989)
2) Shoes sales of the Air Jordan, past and present
3) Did Michael Jordan ever speak out about the killings? (Possible source: Jordan's biography "Rare Air")
4) What country manufactures the shoe and how much does it cost to make them?

If this sounds of interest to you please send a quick note to pup.english204@gmail.com so that I can add to you the list of researchers and we will be off and running!

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Amanda Howell (research coordinator), with Rhiannon Graybill, Sookyoung Lee (instructors), and the students of English 204

Re: Interested in helping with research for Patten Univ @ SQ students?

Ann Lopata
I would be glad to help out with the research.  Not sure if I should be returning this e-mail or contacting them directly.  Please give them my e-mail address.
Ann

Re: Interested in helping with research for Patten Univ @ SQ students?

Inga13
Hi Allyson,

I am interested, and will check in about it when I am back in August this year. Great to get all the news. Busy with my studies. Hi to everyone!

Inga