Prison University Project
Program Assistant - Job Description
ABOUT THE PRISON UNIVERSITY PROJECT:
The mission of the Prison University Project is to provide excellent higher education to people incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison; to create a replicable model for such programs; and to stimulate public awareness and meaningful dialogue about criminal justice and higher education access.
The central project of PUP is the College Program at San Quentin. The Program offers college preparatory courses in math and English as well as courses in the humanities, social sciences, math, and science, leading to an Associate of Arts degree to over 300 people at the prison. The Program is an extension site of Patten University.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Assistant provides programmatic support to the staff and volunteers of the College Program at San Quentin State Prison. This role is primarily administrative, requiring meticulous attention to detail, advanced organizational skills, and the ability to implement, and at times create, systems for managing a fast-paced flow of tasks and information. The role also includes providing direct support and supervision to students and instructors inside the institution, as well as communicating with correctional staff and administrators, program visitors, donors, and others.
1) Photocopy and prepare other teaching materials for classes
2) Generate memos and other paperwork for San Quentin
3) Assist College Program coordinators with program-related tasks inside and outside of the prison
4) Escort instructors into and out of the institution
5) Independently supervise and provide support to instructors and students on site while classes are in session
6) Build and manage electronic surveys
7) Respond to inquiries from people incarcerated at other institutions
8) Manage volunteer carpool
9) Other duties as assigned
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
1) Detail-oriented and well-organized
2) Strong writing skills
3) Strong time management skills
4) Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, etc
5) Familiarity with or willingness to learn to create and manage electronic surveys
6) Patience with laborious and repetitive tasks
7) Exceptional capacity to remain patient, professional, and diplomatic in challenging interpersonal situations
8) Comfortable walking up to two hours per day
9) Willing and able to lift 40 lbs (boxes, etc.)
10) Able to obtain security clearance to enter San Quentin State Prison
11) Willing and able to regularly work some evenings and weekends
APPLICATION AND DEADLINES:
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with “Program Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is ﬁlled. Target start date is February 15.
Starting salary $40,000-$47,000, depending on experience. PUP provides a competitive beneﬁts package, commensurate with our size and budget. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, vacation and holiday pay, and a retirement plan.
STATEMENT OF NONDISCRIMINATION:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Allyson West, Executive Director California Reentry Program P.O. Box 483 San Quentin, CA 94964 www.ca-reentry.org 415-599-6586
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|