The California Correctional Crisis: Causes, Consequences and Call for Chang

The California Correctional Crisis: Causes, Consequences and Call for Chang

AWest
Administrator
The California Correctional Crisis: Causes, Consequences and Call for Change - A Conversation with Professor Hadar Aviram

Start:  2/25/2010 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Location:  Reed Smith, 101 Second Street, San Francisco, CA

Why are California prisons so overcrowded, and what can we do to solve this serious problem? Professor Hadar Aviram will analyze and discuss the California Correctional Crisis.

According to Aviram, the reasons for this crisis, which has had a dramatic effect on our state budget, our wallets, and our lives, can be traced back to a series of political and economic issues that began emerging in the late 1960s, with the birth of the "tough on crime" perspectives. The War on Drugs of the 1980s, and several subsequent punitive legislative measures, have also contributed to the exponential growth in prison population, though not necessarily in the ways perceived by the public.

After examining some of these historical developments and their contribution to the overcrowding crisis, Professor Aviram will discuss some of the most recent developments, such as the medical system's malfunction, the Chino prison riot, the three-judge federal panel order, the Governor's decrowding plan, the proposals for sentencing reform, and other legislative initiatives. She will also examine the potential effects of the current financial crisis on public punitivism and policymaking.

For more information about the crisis, see http://www.californiacorrectionscrisis.blogspot.com.

Please email rsvp@uchastings.edu or call the Alumni Center at 415.565.4667
Allyson West, Executive Director California Reentry Program P.O. Box 483 San Quentin, CA 94964 www.ca-reentry.org 415-599-6586