Root & Rebound Seeks Director of Advocacy
About Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound is a nonprofit advocacy organization in Berkeley, California dedicated to
improving the lives of people returning to the community from incarceration and maximizing
their opportunities for success. Root & Rebound works to accomplish its mission through three
key programs: direct legal services, legal and community education, and policy advocacy.
Founded in October of 2013, Root & Rebound is focused on bringing an innovative and creative
approach to solving the current crises in reentry in the Bay Area, California, and beyond.
Commitment: Full-time, Starting February 2015.
Location: Berkeley, CA
Director of Advocacy: In addition to assisting the Executive Director with overall programmatic
planning, the Director of Advocacy will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the
direct legal services program. The Director of Advocacy will also work alongside the Deputy
Director to co-coordinate and co-manage Root & Rebound’s Legal Education & Training
program. Lastly, the Director of Advocacy will work with the Executive and Deputy Directors
on the policy advocacy and litigation that the organization conducts. Root & Rebound seeks a
candidate who is excited about working at a dynamic and growing organization.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Work with the organization’s senior leadership on programmatic needs assessment,
priority-setting, planning, and outcome-tracking within each key program area (legal
services, legal and community education, and policy advocacy/ litigation). Develop, build
on, and carry out programs that most holistically and effectively serve the needs of the
reentering population statewide.
• Supervise and coordinate direct legal services program, working on cases across a range
of reentry issues including public benefits, family law, employment, housing, credit and
debt, and probation and parole. Supervise staff attorneys, law student interns, and
• Work with Deputy Director to co-manage the legal and community education program;
Ensure that training information is up-to-date and clear for a broad range of audiences.
Supervise staff attorneys, law student interns, and volunteer attorneys.
• Work closely with a panel of Root & Rebound’s expert attorneys to ensure that legal
information, advice, and advocacy across the three program areas is of the highest caliber
• Represent Root & Rebound in policy- and service-focused coalitions, and engage with
other organizations across the country.
• As necessary, assist senior management in fundraising, grants management, and grantreporting
to sustain and expand the capacity of Root & Rebound’s legal services.
• Assist in managing the legal department’s budget to ensure fiscal health.
• Preference for candidates with minimum 7 years of experience as an attorney.
• Preference for candidates with substantial experience in both criminal and civil legal
• Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, criminal, and post-conviction justice.
• Experience supervising, motivating, and building consensus among staff.
• Experience managing a demanding case-load.
• Experience with programmatic planning, priority and goal setting, and tracking.
• Excellent time-management.
• Experience applying an expansive toolbox of strategies (e.g. legal, policy, and organizing
strategies) and strong problem solving skills.
• Open to and excited about working on cases across a wide variety of reentry-related
issues, including public benefits, family law, employment, housing, credit & debt, and
probation and parole issues.
• Excellent communications, public presentation, and meeting facilitation skills. Ability to
communicate clearly to a broad range of audiences, verbally and in writing.
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and sound judgment.
• Creative, enthusiastic, and willing to learn/ try new things.
• Willingness to travel, as needed.
Compensation & Benefits:
This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary and employment
benefits that include medical, vision, and dental care, as well as four weeks of paid time off per
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample, and at least
three references with contact information in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director)
at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and references
will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals,
people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian,
gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Allyson West, Executive Director California Reentry Program P.O. Box 483 San Quentin, CA 94964 www.ca-reentry.org 415-599-6586
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|